VPN problems can be very generic and difficult to fix without investigation. However, if you have error The Remote Access Service IP configuration is unusable, the solution is almost certainly to reinstall the WAN Miniports. In this article, I will guide you step by step to fix the VPN connection in Windows 10 by reinstalling the network miniports.
Fix The Remote Access Service IP configuration is unusable.
To fix VPN error The Remote Access Service IP configuration is unusable, do the following:
- Open Device Manager: Click Start , type device manager and click Device Manager (Control Panel)
- Expand Network Adapters
- Right-click on WAN Miniport (IP) and click Uninstall Device
- Right-click on WAN Miniport (PPTP) and click Uninstall Device
- Right-click on WAN Miniport (IPv6) and click Uninstall Device
- Click Action and click Scan for hardware changes
- Wait a few seconds as the Miniports are automatically re-installed. You should see the list of devices quickly refresh and then the deleted miniports should be there again.
Done! Try to connect the VPN connection again!
Luck? You’re welcome! Leave a comment if you like!
No luck? Try to delete all WAN Miniports, scan for hardware changes and try again. Your VPN error may be using another protocol like IKEv2, L2TP or SSTP.
Still no luck? Leave a comment with your issue. I’d be happy to help!
A similar case was posted on answers.microsoft.com.
The topic starter solved her issue by reinstalling Windows 10 (very effective, but not very efficient :) ). Another poster solved it by uninstalling all WAN Miniports and scan for hardware changes. Basically what I’ve described above.
If you experience VPN issues with Intune configuration profiles, take a look at https://www.itexperience.net/2019/11/14/fix-error-0x80004005-in-intune/