As of February 2021, many Xerox users are experiencing the Windows Update error 0x800f020b. The update Xerox – Extension – 220.127.116.11 is provided through Windows Update. But as soon as you try to complete the installation, it fails with error 0x800f020b: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800f020b: Xerox – Extension – 18.104.22.168.
How to fix 0x800f020b
There are multiple ways to resolve error 0x800f020b. On the internet, it is often advised to use the Windows Update Show Hide tool (wushowhide.diagcab). However, Microsoft has withdrawn this tool, so it is wise not to use it anymore. The solutions below have been proven successful. If 1 doesn’t work for you, choose the next.
Hide the update with Powershell
This method hides the update. The Xerox extension will no longer be installed / upgraded. And you will no longer see an error message.
- Open Powershell as administrator
- Copy this code and paste it in your Powershell window:
# Requires PSWindowsUpdate Module ‘https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/PSWindowsUpdate/”
Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Force
Install-PackageProvider -Name NuGet -MinimumVersion 22.214.171.124 -Force
Install-Module -Name PSWindowsUpdate -Force
Get-WUList # You should see Xerox listed
Hide-WindowsUpdate -Title “Xerox – Extension – 126.96.36.199”
- You should see something simular to this. At the last line Hide-WindowsUpdate, hit Enter to execute.
- Done! Try running Windows Update again.
Delete Xerox printer drivers
If you are no longer using Xerox printers, you may still have drivers left on your system. In this case, you can find and delete the unused drivers in Print Management.
- Click Start, and start typing Print Management . When Print Management comes up as a search result, click on it.
- In Print Management, click All Drivers. Look for the Xerox entry, right-click on it, and click Delete.
Note: there may be more than 1 drivers installed. Delete all Xerox drivers.
- Done! Once again, try running Windows Updates
Delete the Xerox drivers in Registry
This option may feel too complicated for some, but it is a viable solution if other fixes didn’t work out for you.
- Open Services.msc as an administrator and stop the Print Spooler service. (Don’t close the Service window yet!)
- Open the Registry Editor and go to:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\winprint”
You will find your xerox driver there under the printer processors, rename it to .old
- Restart the Print spooler service from the Services window
- If deleted properly then thats it, Windows update will work again without error 0x8023200b
Error 0x800f020b in Windows Updates is very common. Not only Xerox but also many other vendors, like HP Printers, may cause this error.
If this article did not help you solve your problem, please leave a comment! This website is visited thousands of times a day. There is a good chance that I or someone else has an answer to your question.
In addition, if you have a better solution for this problem, please leave a comment too! It may help me improve this article, as well as you may help other users facing this issue.