After my upgrade to Windows 10 1909, I noticed large spaces between my desktop icons. A lot of things can be set in the settings of Windows 10, but not the spaces in between. In this blog post, I show how you can easily restore or adjust the spaces between your desktop icons.
Fix large spaces between desktop icons
- Click Start -> type Registry Editor -> Click Registry Editor.
- In Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Control Panel -> Desktop -> WindowMetrics.
- In WindowsMetrics, double click IconSpacing.
- In the Edit String window, set the Value Data to -1650. (in my case, the faulty value was -3300, but yours may be different. In any way, -1650 is reasonable.).
- Click OK.
- In WindowsMetrics, double click IconVerticalSpacing.
- In the Edit String window, set the Value Data to -1200. (in my case, the faulty value was -3300, but yours may be different. In any way, -1200 is reasonable.).
- Click OK.
- Log out from Windows 10 and log in again. A reboot will do too. (But first: bookmark this site. If this solution didn’t solve your issue, maybe another solution below might fix your problem!).
After logging in again, the spaces between the icons should be smaller.
Change size of desktop icons
You may want to change the size of the desktop icons. While the font size may be just right for you, the icon size may be:
- Too small, which makes them unclear.
- Too large, which cause them to use much desktop space.
Here’s how to change the size of desktop icons
- Hover your cursor over an empty place on the desktop. So that’s practically any place on your desktop where there’s no application.
(Or press Windows+D to minimize all open Windows. This will do too.)
- Hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard. And scroll your mouse wheel up and down to scale the icons.
Change size of text, apps and desktop icons
If you experience text and icons to be too small, it may be desirable to increase the scale. In this way, you keep the best resolution for your monitor, while making it readable without glasses.
Here’s how to change the scale
- Right-click your desktop/wallpaper and choose Display Settings.
- In Display, select the monitor you want to adjust.
- Scroll down to Scale and Layout.
- In the box Change the size of text, apps, and other items, select a larger scale.
Other solutions for desktop icon size, scaling, font type will be added soon.