Yesterday I faced the error VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found. You may also see an error stating the code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140_CODECVT_IDS.dll was not found.
Luckily this error is very common and it is very easy to resolve. Any file error starting with VCRUNTIME, or having MSVCP in its name, is related to Microsoft Visual C++. This redistributable package enables developers to develop specific applications. Sometimes, these support files are not included in the installation files of a specific application
For example, Dolphin.exe may trigger the VCRUNTIME140_1.dll error. But also Firefox users sometimes face the VCRUNTIME error.
Fix VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found
To fix the error for VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found, follow these steps:
- Open the following website (opens in a new tab): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads
- On the website, there are 3 versions: x86, x64 and ARM64. What you need depends on the application you are trying to run. But if unsure, just download both x86 and x64.
Direct link to vc_redist.x86.exe: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe
Direct link to vc_redist.x64.exe: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe
- Install both files. Installing Visual C++ only involves agreeing to the license terms and clicking Install. Note: if you don’t see Install, but Repair, click Repair. Your Visual C++ installation may be damaged or corrupted.
- Once you have installed Visual C++, try to run the application. It should now run fine.
- Optional: You may delete the installation files. However, Do not uninstall Visual C++, as it will again cause errors. It’s best to leave all versions installed.
If this article did not help you solve your problem, please leave a comment! This website is visited thousands of times a day. There is a good chance that I or someone else has an answer to your question.