This blog post helps you fix performance issues in Teams.
In recent weeks I noticed that my PC was getting slower and slower. Opening a Teams channel in Microsoft Teams took ten seconds, opening a chat conversation as well. Writing an email in Outlook was successful, but the letters appeared on the screen with a delay. The performance of Teams bothered me the most. In Task Manager I found CPU usage was high, and more than 1 GB of memory in use was no exception. There is no way to limit the memory usage of Microsoft Teams. There is a lot of complaints about performance, but Microsoft doesn’t prioritize this as an important issue yet
Luckily I have found the right settings to improve the performance of Teams. Which immediately made my entire PC less slow.
Table of Contents
Fix performance issues Teams
Perform the 3 actions below to solve the performance problems with Microsoft Teams.
Disable GPU Hardware acceleration
- In Teams, click your icon / photo.
- Choose Settings.
- In Settings, in tab general, enable “Disable GPU hardware acceleration“.
- While you’re here, also disable “Register teams as the chat app for Office…“.
- Restart Teams. Please note that Teams runs in the background. You must close it from your system tray (near the clock at the right bottom).
Disable all Teams addins in Outlook
- In Outlook, click Options.
- In the Outlook Options window, click Addins.
- At the bottom, click Go… (next to Manage: COM Add-ins).
- Untick Microsoft Teams Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office and Teamviewer Meeting Add-in.
- Click OK.
- Restart Outlook.
Clear Teams cache
- In Windows Explorer, go to %appdata%\Microsoft\teams .
Then delete the following files:
a. In tmp folder, delete all files.
b. In Blob_storage folder, delete all files.
c. In Cache folder, delete all files.
d. In IndexedDB folder, delete the .db file.
e. In GPUCache folder, delete all files.
f. In databases folder, delete all files.
g. In Local Storage folder, delete all files.
h. In Application Cache > Cache folder, delete all files in it.
After these 3 modifications to your system, Teams performs much faster. As far as I know, there are no other fix performance issues Teams available. But let me know in the comments if you experience any issues or if you have additional information and tips.