ITExperience.NET Rotating Header Image

Event 37: The speed of processor # in group # is being limited by system firmware

On some of our HP DL360G6 servers, the following warning (event id 37) showed up in the event log of Windows 2008 R2

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power
Date:          12/21/2009 5:04:12 PM
Event ID:      37
Task Category: (7)
Level:         Warning
Keywords:
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      <servername>
Description:
The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 2139 seconds since the last report.”

To solve this error, do the following:

1. In Windows, check your Power Options. Make sure that your Power Scheme is set to High Performance, and check that every option is set to “Always On”.
  2. Make sure you have installed all latest drivers and firmware, especially for your motherboard and CPU.
  3. Reboot your computer and go to your BIOS settings. Make sure that your power settings are set to maximum. This differs from coputer to computer.

In case the error occurs on a HP server, you should set in the Minimum Processor Idle Power State “No C-states”:

1. Enter BIOS by pressing F9 on POST
  2. Navigate to “Power Management Options” => “Advanced Power Management Options” => “Minimum Processor Idle Power State”
  3. Choose “No C-States

Hope this helps one of you. If something is not clear, please leave a comment.

24 Comments

1. Anonymous says:

Did You solved it? :)

read WTFK post

specialist….:)))

2. zachi says:

Event ID 37 is not an error, it is a warning. When you see this warning please also check the time, when this event was happened. Can you remember, if your machine was running on battery power at this time? If so, this is the answer. At least in my case, every time I get this event id 37 warning, I was running on battery…

if your system shut’s down without warning, yes check the temp of your cpu….. but the chance, that the cpu says good bye…. is 80%… most happened to a power issue

3. Kevins says:

Hi

Great thread thanks a mil.

Kevin

4. jit says:

i also have the same prob but when i use notebook on AC supply then this prob dowsn’t comes up… but while working on battery it warns again……

5. Geovani CH. says:

1. Reboot server , go to BIOS pressing f9
    2. Once in BIOS go to system options go to power regulator for Proliant
    3. Once there pick the option OS control Mode(Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power is known issue and should be fixed putting the BIOS on OS(Operating System)control mode )

6. mom says:

Some of you people have a processor getting too hot
    (computer shuts down often)…clean the heatsink and re-apply heat
    sink material, etc.

7. Lane Taualii says:

Great stuff! Really enjoyed reading that… Thanks

8. HansWurst says:

Had this issue with my Lenovo T60 caused by a dead fan – cpu and gpu had about 100°C so the CPU was clocked down

9. master says:

Your solution did not helped me.

I’ve installed the latest drivers. Our server is HP ProLiant BL460c G6.Since i installed it i received about 10 events (every 5 minutes)

I changed power setting in Windows 2008 R2 to High Performance , i hop it will solve it.

1. Megan says:

Maybe if you learned proper English, you’d have better luck.

1. Anonymous says:

Maybe if you learned proper English, you’d have better luck.

Maybe if you learned proper English, you’d have better luck.

Just to nitpick… “Maybe if you had learned proper English, you’d have better luck.”

2. anonymous2 says:

Maybe if you learned proper English, you’d have better luck.

Megan, how many second languages can you speak fluently?

2. alia sara says:

Your solution did not helped me.

Hi.
      What did you do to solve the problem, i have the same model server(HP bl460C G6).Thankyou for your reply.!!

3. ngdiem says:

Your solution did not helped me.

Hi.
      How did you do to solve the problem with your server. Now, i have the same problem with the same server … thank you

Your solution did not helped me.

Hi.

10. Eve says:

Hey!

My HP 6730s Laptop shut down 2 times in 5 minutes. It did not restart, but shut down! In my windows even log viewer, i regonized the same issue stated here.
    “The speed of processor 1/0 in group 1/0 is being limited by system firware”.
    I already tried to install the executable from HP’s own site, but it cannot be installed on OS’ like Windows 7. I have no idea what to do next and how to solve this problem.

11. Mazaqi says:

Hi

I’ve the same problem as ya’ve posted the output. I’ve got Asus N61JQ
    it gives me the same error.

any help

12. Bruce says:

I have the same issue. I found when the hardware virtualization is enable in BIOS on my Compaq 6910, the issue appeared. For your reference.

13. Håkan Åknert says:

Hi!
    I had this problem to on my dl380 g6 and found this soultions.
    This helped me so I type link in the soulution here.

/Håkan

14. Christian Christian says:

Paulo,

thank you. I appreciate your enthusiasm! :)

15. Paulie says:

Great job!!! You make me so happy. I love this blog. Please keep up the good werk. It’s so fantastic. Oh my God, it’s really fantastic!

1. Anonymous says: