Windows Update error 0x80072ee2

Windows Update error 0x0080072ee2 is a very general error code and may cause much frustration. With this post I’m trying to help you to solve error 0x80072ee2 :) . After each step, try Windows Update to determine whether the issue is resolved

Step 1: Verify that your internet connection functions correctly
You should always be able to download the file Try to download it to make sure that your connection to the Windows Update site is OK:
If you get an error, like Page Not Found, then something is preventing you from connecting to the Windows Update site.

Step 2: Temporary turn off/disable your Antivirus and Firewall
Of course, only temporary :) , but you should make sure your antivirus program (e.g. AVG or Norton) or firewall (e.g. Windows Firewall fo Norton) is turned off. Antivirus and firewall programs can prevent a lot of things from working.

Step 3: Delete suspicious entries in your host file
Open Notepad and then navigate to, and double click the following file: C:\Winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. If you see any lines containing the string windowsupdate, delete the complete line.

Step 4: Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites list
In Microsoft Internet Explorer, go to Tools, then go to Internet Options.
In the Internet Options window, go to the Security tab, and then click Trusted Sites. Click Sites, and then click to clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.
In the Add this Web site to the zone box, type each of the following addresses, and click Add after each address:

Step 5: Switch from Microsoft Update back to Windows Update
Many peope have reported that switching back to Windows Update fixed their problems. The downside is that it won’t let you download updates for i.e. Office 2007. The upside is that you can keep using the Update service from Microsoft (with its critical security updates). To switch back to Windows Update. go to the Windows Update site and click Change Settings.

Step 6: Uninstall the latest installed updates
Some updates may cause the Windows Update to malfunction. The easiest way to solve this problem is to uninstall all updates that were installed. To find out what updates were installed recently, go to the Windows Update and choose to show recently installed updates. Then sort on install date.
Possibly, the following update may be a cause of the problem:

  • Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202)

Step 7: Re-register some files, related to Windows Updates
Sometimes, it helps to re-register some dll-files. To do this, do the following:

  • Open Notepad
  • Copy and paste the following entries into the text document.
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
    regsvr32 qmgr.dll
    regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
  • Save this file as a batch file
    – click on save as
    – open the drop down box at the bottom to read save as file type: all files
    – name of file: BITS_fix.bat (the .bat is creating a batch file)
    – run the BITS_fix.bat  (double-click)

Step 8: Change the MTU setting of your computer or router
In some rare cases, the MTU setting of your computer of router are not set correctly. To adjust the MTU setting of your router, please refer to the manual. To adjust the MTU setting of your computer, do the following:

  • Open your Registry. Click Start, click Run, type regedit and click OK
  • Navigate to the following key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
    Interfaces\[Adapter ID]]
  • Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called “MTU” and set it to equal the required MTU size in decimal.Test it by setting it to 1492 or 1500

One thought on “Windows Update error 0x80072ee2

  1. I have an Acer Aspire M5910 which is now failing to upload to the internet with my new O2 wireless router (wireless box IV made by Thomson), but was working fine with the previous router supplied under their basic service. Outlook is fine receiving emails but takes several days worth of retries before an email gets sent. Evernote receives new notes from the Cloud, but tries to sync all day to upload notes. Speedtest websites show fine download speeds, while most hang or show zero upload speed.

    I spent 5 hours on the phone with O2, but in the end they said it wasn’t their problem as other PCs in the house on the same wireless were fine. Acer wanted to charge me 10p a minute to fix it.

    I got the 0x80072ee2 message sometimes which led me here. And, an experienced colleague at work had suggested an MTU mismatch problem, so I wanted to follow your regedit instructions here, but they are not quite detailed enough for a novice like me.

    So, I’m posting this here for two reasons
    – to ask you to me a bit more precise about how I should chose the right MTU value, and exactly what I should type into regedit
    – see if we can help other unfortunate ACER and O2 users who are stuck with the same problem.

    Thanks a lot. However I’ve got round the problem (if you can’t get over it, gotta go round it …) and used a pair of mains modems to run a virtual wire between my PC on the ground floor and the router on the first floor!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.