After the installation of several updates with Automatic Updates, a reboot may be required. If this is the case, Automatic Updates will popup a window that asks you to restart your computer.
Also, when you return to the Windows Update or Microsoft Update site, it won’t let you install new updates as long as you don’t have restarted the computer. The following error occurs:
[Error number: 0x8DDD0007] You need to restart your computer to finish installing a program or updates. You cannot view or get other updates from the site until you restart.
In certain situations, you may want to bypass this pending reboot check. To clear the pending reboot, do the following:
- Click Start, click Run, type “regedit” and click OK
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\
- Right-click the key (folder) “RebootRequired” and click Delete
Additionally, you may have to restart the Automatic Updates server. To restart Automatic Updates, do the following:
- Click Start, click Run, type “services.msc” and click OK
- Right click on Automatic Updates and click “Restart“