When using Microsoft Update or Windows Update to update Windows XP or Windows 2003, the following error may occur:
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem: Error number: 0x80072F78
In most cases, error 0x80072F78 can be solved by deleting the contents of the SoftwareDistribution directory.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type services.msc and click OK
- Double click Automatic Updates, click Stop, and click OK
- Open Windows Explorer
- Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
- Delete all contents in this directory
- In the Services window, double click Automatic Updates, click Start, and click OK
- (re-)Start Internet Explorer and run Windows Update again.
If Windows Update still fails, you may try any solution supplied by Microsoft on this site: