In my test environment, the following error occurred during the Readiness Check of my Exchange 2007 installation:
Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: An Active Directory error 0x8007203A occurred while searching for domain controllers in domain [domain name] : The server is not operational.
My test environment was as follows:
- One domain controller, running Windows 2003 R2 SP2, 32bit
- Active Directory
- One member server, running Windows 2003 R2 SP2, 32bit
- Exchange 2007 (trying to install ;-) )
The error 0x8007203A was quite strange, because I was logged on to the domain on my member server.
I took the following steps to solve the problem:
- Check the Eventlog for errors (in my case, everything was fine)
- Make sure the member server joined the domain
- Make sure the DNS addresses are pointed to the DC
- Create a new user in Active Directory with Domain Administrator rights
- Re-join the domain (join a workgroup, reboot, and join the domain again)
The final step, seemed to solve the problem. Pretty weird, but oh well, at least I continue the testing phase :-)