When you’re running Vista with UAC enabled, you might get the following error when trying to print a website to PDF:
Save PDF File AS
You don’t have permission to save in this location.
Contact the administrator to obtain permission.
Would you like to save in the [username] folder instead?
Saving to another folder results in the same error.
This happens because Internet Explorer’s security won’t let the PDF save the file. You have three choices:
- Turn off the Protected Zone of Internet Explorer (Go to the IE’s Tools, Options, Security tab)
- Open Internet Explorer as administrator. (Right click on an Internet Explorer shortcut and choose Run as Administrator)
- Turn off UAC (user access control)
Running applications as Administrator turns off the protected zone. It remains enabled in Tools, Options, though. Use this method if you need to print occasionally – start IE with the run as admin option when you need to print to PDF. If you need to print to PDF a lot, turn off protected zones or UAC.
This article applies to:
- Windows Vista
- Adobe Acrobat Professional 6
- Adobe Acrobat Professional 7
- Adobe Acrobat Professional 8
- Adobe Acrobat 6
- Adobe Acrobat 7
- Adobe Acrobat 8
- Internet Explorer 7