When running a Windows 2003 server with .NET Framework 2 installed, you might find the following error in the event log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Computer: <computer name>
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to open shim database version registry key – v2.0.50727.00000.
Two possible solutions are available for this problem:
- Apply the hotfix from Microsoft. To obtain the hotfix and more information, go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918642
- Edit the permission rights on a registry key.
To edit the permissions, do the following:
- Click Start, click Run, type “regedit” and press Enter
- Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy\AppPatch\
- Right-click v2.0.50727.00000 and click Permissions
- Grant Authenticated Users Full Permissions rights (fill the checkbox)
- Click OK