ITExperience.NET Rotating Header Image

Excel 2007 error: Different format than specified by the file extension

After upgrading to Excel 2007, you may get the following error when you try to open an excel document:

This errors particularly occurs when you’re trying to open an XLS file (Excel 2000-2003) with Excel 2007.

The easiest way to solve this problem, is to insert the following registry key. This will suppress the notification:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Security]
“ExtensionHardening”=dword:00000000

The step-by-step instructions are as follows:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit.exe and press ENTER. This will open your Registry
  2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\12.0\EXCEL\SECURITY
  3. Right click in the right window and choose New -> DWORD
  4. In the Name field, type “ExtensionHardening”  (without the quotes)
  5. Verify that the data has the value “0″

I advice the steps above to solve the problem, despite the fact that it is quick and dirty.

If you want a more constructive way, you should define MIME types and associate them with extensions.
When you use a Document Management System (like Sharepoint or Livelink), you can try adding these:
.xls = application/msexcel
.xlsx = application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet

114 Comments

1. Rashid iqbal says:

Nice work, thanks for giving this solution.

2. Karu Karthi says:

Hi
    I am working in sharepoint 2013 , exporting excel of rdlc file rendering problem..opening in PDF s working fine..after exporting into excel and trying to open the excel i am not getting the exact content..

3. I hope you write more on this subject! Wow, that was pretty interesting. Inspiring, as well. Thanks for sharing such inspiring experience with us. Great blog, congrats! I found lots of interesting information here. The post was professionally written and I feel like the author has extensive knowledge in this subject.

4. Anonymous says:

awesome

5. Krishna says:

It working in the server machine. the error getting in client machine.

6. Urdu Shayari says:

This is good information thanks for share

7. Hemanth kumar D says:

Hi,

Your solution really worked. Its an excellent trick.

Thanks,

Hemanth

8. Hemanth kumar D says:

Excellent trick to avoid warning..Thanks alot

9. mustafa says:

excellent trick

1. raja says:

Not Working………… Can Anyone Help needed Urgent………….

10. jayesh says:

what a solution dear
    nice
    selut

11. Anuradha says:

Excellent solution..

12. ayz says:

i already get rid the msg box but still it is on special characters. pls help

13. ArunKumar says:

Super Solutions.
    its Working Perfectly..

Excellent solution..

Super Solutions.
      its Working Perfectly..

14. shrikant says:

Excellent Solution

15. shrikant says:

Excellent Reply

16. Srinivas says:

Excellent, it is worked for me.

17. Sangeetha says:

Hi,

Good solution.Its worked Properly.Thank you.

18. mUEKSH says:

Hi I tried adding HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\12.0\EXCEL\SECURITY
    but my excel documents are still corupt. any help please

19. srilatha M says:

20. Santos says:

It did work for me. However I did add it under 14.0 instead of 12.0
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Security]

Cheers

It did work for me. However I did add it under 14.0 instead of 12.0
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Security]

Cheers

Need Help!!
        i am looking for solution which give, eport in xlsx (2007)format in Jsp.
        i tried all possible ways you mentioned, but its not working..
        Is there any other way, to overcome to this problem

Hey hii
        I an trying to save the excel file through jsp.
        file saved but whikle a am trying to open that excel file it is giving the error The file you are trying to open .xlsx is in a different format than specified by the file extension. verify the file is not corrupted and is from trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?

i am workin in excel 2007,i do all changes in 12.0 but still not working,there is no 14.0,there is only 8.0 other than 12.0,but in that 8.0 there is no option like security
        what should i do?
        plz help me

2. Kajal says:

Hey hii
        I an trying to save the excel file through jsp.

what should i do?
        plz help me

2. riki says:

IT WORKED FOR BY CHOOSE THIS ONE . than”s

It did work for me. However I did add it under 14.0 instead of 12.0
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Security]

Cheers

21. Steven says:

Solution Works Perfectly.
    Thanks Christian!

22. charisse says:

hi.. what you gave worked. it just remove the message box. My problem is when i always open it, with or without the “extensionHardening”, it doesn’t show anything.. what should i do?

23. Melly says:

I get to the registry part fine, but I do not have the SECURITY part. Is there another spot I could put it? Thanks!

24. Sundas says:

I was working on office 2007 file. Then my pc became turned off due to electricity problem. After this, when i turn on my pc i have lost my excel file. An xls file is appeared instead. when i tries to open it then says, “The file you are trying to open .xlsx is in a different format than specified by the file extension. verify the file is not corrupted and is from trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?”
    Please Please Please Help Me its my job’s problem.

25. Deepti says:

For people who are getting junk characters they can try removing Response.ClearHeaders(). This gives error with IIS 6

1. Anonymous says:

How do you remove Response.ClearHeaders()

26. Anonymous says:

Need Help!!
    i am looking for solution which give, eport in xlsx (2007)format in Jsp.
    i tried all possible ways you mentioned, but its not working..
    Is there any other way, to overcome to this problem

27. Mahesh says:

Accidentaly i delete my partitions and i use some partions recovery like minitool,partion magic 9.0 and get partitions and data back. but when i create new partiton usind partition magic9.0 suddenly current gone when i started pc again all partitions and data available but one partions nothing open my Photo,songs,videos, word file excel file what i do Plese suggest i need only Phosts and word excel file when i open excel file erreor msg is “The file you are trying to open .xlsx is in a different format than specified by the file extension. verify the file is not corrupted and is from trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?” and when i tried word file its open square box and Photo shows no preview available. please help me

28. frankreid says:

Thanks, This solved the problem.

29. Anonymous says:

Worked for me… :)

30. HM says:

Given registry modification solution worked for me. Thanks

31. sulekha says:

The file you are trying to open .xls is in a different format than specified by the file extension. verify the file is not corrupted and is from trusted source before opening the file.

I am getting while try to open a EXL 2003 file in 2007.Is there any other way to reslove this prob except registry change or group change policy

32. omar says:

Excellent

33. Muhammad Javed says:

hFÿÿÿÿ@À{°FØÿÿÿÿ@X|p|˜| ”•0…°Fÿÿÿÿ@X|øFÐÿÿÿÿ@è|} }0–0…øFÿÿÿÿ@è|0GÈÿÿÿÿ@p}ˆ}¨}`—0…0Gÿÿÿÿ@p}hG¸ÿÿÿÿ@ø}~P~ ™x™°„(¦P™„hGÿÿÿÿ@ø}°Gxÿÿÿÿ@H Hÿÿÿÿ@È~à~¸`ž œè›À›˜›°Gpÿÿÿÿ@H`¨œÀp°Gÿÿÿÿ@H Hÿÿÿÿ@È~ÐHÿÿÿÿ@€ €àH€ Ÿ0…¨Hÿÿÿÿ@p€ˆ€H€ Ÿ0…`êPÿÿÿÿ@ †`RPÿÿÿÿ@H xI

Dear all,
    i did with registry file as you told you above but excel file is still showing the same issue actually i
    had recover that excel data and know it is not opened
    i got this error message when try to open it

the file you are trying to open,name.xls is in a different format then specified by the file extension. verify that file is not corrupted and is from
    a trusted source before open the file do you want to open the file now ?

some one can please tell me the solution

34. Gunter says:

That was excellent, “ExtensionHardening“
    it worked like a Spell

thanks

That was excellent, “ExtensionHardening“
      it worked like a Spell

thanks

35. Aslam says:

Hi,

While opening the file we receives the content which was low level format example ” ªdÕ /1éƒO@üôâVR-D«›°‰)¿:5Ë«±Ï!œn¶h%P¹Þ.Þy¼äÞXÎàš43€x©õJÉ<ÁHl-&ð´æ)Tm á ‘Gí€=mm`„µ„ þ "….

any other way to open the file

36. nk says:

Hi,

Is there any other alternative rather than changing the registry?

37. Sam says:

sorry, file open but not in correct formatt

38. AMJ says:

Lovely…… I got rid of the annoying message-box :-)

39. Ali Ahamad says:

Sir,

please suggest in this regard.

Thanks, Ali.

Sir,

please suggest in this regard.

Thanks, Ali.

40. jambai says:

It works good.

Would lke to know is there any other alternative rather than changing the registry or group policy.

Thanks
    Jambai

41. Sachin says:

Hi, Thanks for the post. Your solution worked!

42. Nikita says:

I was gettibg the same error, the regedit jhelps to erase the error but still the data is incorrect. It gives some corrupt junk data.
    Can u help please?

43. Gamecock says:

Great fix! Thank you so much!

44. Mike says:

I love you.

45. Sherri says:

I’m having this issue with a file when I open it. Your solution looks good, but won’t it only work on my laptop? What can I do if my file is going to be opened by others on different computers?

1. younes says:

that would be their problem and not yours.

46. Janet Huang 1965 says:

Thank you so much for the fix. Worked great!

Janet

Not at all working>Janet

HiPlease give the proper solution

Thanks

Thank you so much for the fix. Worked great!Janet

Not working

47. shrishail says:

Hi
    your solution woked.It is very nice

1. Anonymous says:

Hiyour solution woked.It is very nice

48. Brian says:

1. Anonymous says:

I was getting the error like file format is not specified after opening the 2003 macro excel file in 2007 excel. After doing the steps given above , error message is not coming but excel sheet gets disappeared after complete processing. Please advice.  (Quote)

49. Arturo Gutierrez Cruz says:

It work excellent, thanks for the help

50. srinivas says:

Dear sir,

plz help me sir. i wish u will help me

Regards,
    Srinivas

1. NOBLE says:

Sir,While opening the file we receives the content which was low level format example ” ªdÕ /1éƒO@üôâVR-D«›°‰)¿:5Ë«±Ï!œn¶h%P¹Þ.Þy¼äÞXÎàš43€x©õJÉ<ÁHl-&ð´æ)Tm á ‘Gí€=mm`„µ„ þ “….please suggest in this regard.Thanks, Ali.

Dear sir,The file you are trying to open .xlsx is in a different format than specified by the file extension. verify the file is not corrupted and is from trusted source before opening the file. This problem that i am facing. So please give me suggest . this is very important to us. So please help me sir. this is my Humble request for u. please reply me. i want suggestion from u. help me plz. even i tried the procedure. which u gave in the website but its not working.plz help me sir. i wish u will help me Regards,Srinivas

Hi,While opening the file we receives the content which was low level format example ” ªdÕ /1éƒO@üôâVR-D«›°‰)¿:5Ë«±Ï!œn¶h%P¹Þ.Þy¼äÞXÎàš43€x©õJÉ<ÁHl-&ð´æ)Tm á ‘Gí€=mm`„µ„ þ “….ªdÕ /1éƒO@üôâVR-D«›°‰)¿:5Ë«±Ï!œn¶h%€P(Þ.Þy¼äÞXÎàš†Ê‡¨õJÉ<ÁHl-&~´æ)¹m á<n¸<6~Â’wýŸ{,yß+ØoåSPp:HFÝKygÆ­ any other way to open the file

FILE OPEN IN THIS FORMAT ( I HAVE SAME PROBLEM IN EXCEL AND WORD)c+B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„BPlease advise how can i Open my file.Any software or translator or any other way to change the extention to open and recover my data.Please reply.Thank.

51. Atiq Juma says:

FILE OPEN IN THIS FORMAT ( I HAVE SAME PROBLEM IN EXCEL AND WORD)

Please advise how can i Open my file.

Please reply.
    Thank.

52. p says:

It worked! thx in Win7 too.

53. Viji says:

It worked fine ,Thanks

54. vanitha says:

Thank you so much. I have inserted ExtensionHardening key in my registry. It is working fine with out any issue.

55. Ahmed says:

Hello i cannot open my excel file it was working fine suddenly it shows this error. I tried the way which you had mentioned above but doesn’t work out.
    :c+B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B€‘©{‘øÑ‘û1‘

Please advise how can i fix this file.

Please reply.

Thank.

56. phoeneous says:

This works great, thank you!

57. Maher says:

hello..my excel worksheet writes the following:c+-B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B!„B€‘©{‘øÑ‘û1‘

so how can i repair the data that has been lost,,
    and there is any way to translate this symbols to the original data that Ive inputted it????

please help.

so how can i repair the data that has been lost,,

please help.

58. yogeesh says:

Hi,

the solution really worked.

Thanks,
    yogeesh.

59. Jay says:

Excellent! Thank you so much for this solution.

60. Devendra Patil says:

Hi,

Its working.

Thanks,
    Devendra Patil,Jalgaon

61. Abdul says:

Thanks a lot… this save my day :)

62. Ananth says:

This really works !

Ananth

63. Anon says:

rigo: THANKS!!, IT REALLY WORKS.
    BEST REGARDS.

Hey Thanks For it Awesome its working

64. Jitendra Kumar says:

it really worked for me.Thanks for the solution

65. thanks for you friend but I use and try it

66. Sridhar Gumpula says:

Hi,
    wow great solution its working fine

Sridhar Gumpula

67. rigo says:

THANKS!!, IT REALLY WORKS.
    BEST REGARDS.

68. zafar says:

sir
    i have tried your trick, file become open with out any error but the content of file become changed in 0 1 and others alphabatic, please hel me out

69. Kesavan says:

I will try in all the possible cases and let you know.

70. Yawar Abbas says:

hi
    ive tries your trick , now i m not getting the error msg , but file is still corrupt all i c is special character but no data.
    can u help me with that

71. Kesavan says:

We tried by setting in registry. Its working fine.
    Eventhough is there any other way?.
    Pls advice.

72. Narender says:

even i am same face if u found any solution let me

Narender

Umesh: I tried above solution and it works fine for me. But i don’t want to do any changes in registry .Is there any other solution ?
    I am using c# and asp.net 2.0 . Here i am export grid view in excel file and when i opened excel file that time above warning message i am facing .
    Regard,
    Umesh.

73. acrwebline says:

Do you have a solution for Vista? The registry values as explained must be in XP only, because the information is not found in the visa registry. Can you confirm. Thank you.

74. Surender says:

I had changed the registry values as suggested. I could able to open the files
    without any error this is great and I am getting a blank worksheet and I am worried about my data. Any work around this to retreive my data back.
    Thanks,
    Surender.

75. venkat says:

Even changed the setting the ContentType for XLS as well as XLSX
    I am getting the same problem with the error mesg “Different format than specified by the file extension”

Jon Where I have to add code “FilFormatNum” , cna you please give examples

76. Jon says:

This error is commonly caused when .SaveAs VBA code (or export from an application) specifies the file should be created as filename.xls whilst saving in 2007 (i.e. xml) format.

When this file is then opened:

- In Office 2007 you get the format file extension error but it will open and work fine
    - In Office 97-2003 the file will open but will appear corrupted as 97-2003 cannot interpret xml files

The solution from a macro perspective is to modify the code to specify the file format by adding the following code if you need to share with people on older excel (this will make it save in .xls format as well as be named . xls):

FileFormatNum = 56
    or
    FileFormatNum = xlExcel8

If only sharing with 2007 users, modifying the filename to be filename.xlsx will also solve this issue (this can also be done manually if files are only used by 2007 users).

Hope this helps

77. Ankit says:

nothing worked.. all tried .. changed .xls to .xlsx and changed in registry as well.
    Any other solution..

78. Jayesh says:

No complicated reg settings or modifications, just rename the .xls extension to .xlsx, you are done.

79. Umesh says:

Regard,
    Umesh.

80. Sashikant says:

Thanks God….Its working..Thanks to UUUUUUUU too

81. Sreekanth says:

Inspite of setting the ContentType for XLS as well as XLSX…I am getting the same problem with the weird mesg “Different format than specified by the file extension”

Any help is highly appreciated

-Sreek

82. Ahmad says:

I don’t have security folder. I added the same under ..\EXCEL\ folder and it didn’t work

83. Trevor says:

but my excel documents are still corupt. any help please

84. Ranjan ROy says:

Thank pal..It really hepled me

85. anon says:

Thank you so very much. I’ve been pestered by that annoying pop-up for months; I deal with a very large number of Excel files that don’t have an extension and constantly throw this error. This has seriously given me 5 minutes of my day back.

86. zlatan24 says:

I heard about not bad application-xlsx repair Microsoft, know how will display a dialog box with the question whether this worksheet should actually be scanned, also with help it you may try to open the necessary *.xls, *,xlt, *.xlsx, xlsm, *.xltm, *.xltx, *.xlam file and see an error message on the screen instead of it: Microsoft Excel unable to read file, This file is not in a recognizable format, etc.

1. Anonymous says:

THANKS!!, IT REALLY WORKS.BEST REGARDS.

Thanks for solution

thanks for you friend but I use and try it

Thanks a lot.

Hey Thanks For it Awesome its working

Hi ,I have already tried the above solution , it’s working. But i want the solution in the way that from the jsp code. If you find any solutioni will be very happy.Thanks,vasanth.

Hi,Its working.Thanks,Devendra Patil,Jalgaon

Hi,Your solution really worked.Its excellent.Thanks,Amber Bhatnagar.

87. Far says:

hi
    can u help me with that

1. hi says:

hi
      can u help me with that

88. Saravanan says:

Thanks for solution

89. Rebecca says:

Thank you! As a non techie…your instructions were great! It took care of the problem.

90. Samita says:

Its working!!!!! wonderful….

91. Ted says:

Thanks a lot.

92. Vasanth says:

Hi ,

i will be very happy.

Thanks,
    vasanth.

93. Hi,

Your solution really worked.Its excellent.

Thanks,