Outlook 2007 seems to be a little slower than Outlook 2003. To speed up Outlook 2007, here are some tips. Give it a try, it won’t slow Outlook 2007 down more than that it is now :)
For all the steps: Open your Outlook 2007 as an administrator. If you’re logged in as a normal user, run Outlook as an administrator, or log off and logon as admin again
Hints and tips:
- Disable all the addins that you don’t use. To do this:
- Go to Tools, then Trust Center, then Addins.
- Disable all the addins that you don’t use. I disabled all addins, just because I only use the default features. You may leave the Indexing enabled.
- Remove the RSS feeds from the default send/receive configuration. To do this:
- Go Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup -> Send Receive.
- Select the All Accounts group, and click the Edit button.
- Click on the RSS account and you will be shown a check box at the top of the tab page allowing you to include or exclude this account as part of this send/receive group.
- Uncheck the Include RSS Feeds in this Send/Receive group. What this will do though, is never sync up your RSS feeds until you manually tell outlook to do so.
- Click OK, Close, OK, Close, and so on, until all windows are closed :)
- Install the latest ServicePack. At this moment, the latest SP is SP1
- Turn off calendar caching. If you have Exchange in use then Outlook 2007 may well have the caching of people’s calendars turned on. This means that when you open a calendar you have to wait for the cache to populate, which can slow things down a bit sometimes. To do this:
- Go to the Tools Menu and select Account Settings
- Select your Exchange Account and press the change button
- Press the more settings button
- Select the 2nd tab (Advanced)
- Un-tick the “Download shared folders” option. Note that this will stop cached Sharepoint folders from downloading into Outlook as well.
- Press OK until all options are saved.
- Clean up your Inbox from time to time. Loading a PST, containing 4000 items, can take up a lot of performance. By splitting up your Main PST into several smaller PST’s, and excluding the data files at startup, Outlook 2007 loads much faster!